Baby shower is a very special reverence to a woman. Honoring your special friend or relative with a shower is a touching gesture in itself. How you add your personal touch will send it over the top. Plan a baby shower that the mom-to-be will love.
- Choose a date for the shower. Typically reserved for weekends so that out-of-town guests can attend, the shower will likely need to work for several people’s schedules.
- Ask the new mom to create a guest list as early as possible. It will give you an idea of how many people you can accommodate in a certain venue, while providing you with other important planning info.
- Choose a theme. What is mom doing for the nursery decor? If the baby has yet to be born, does she know if a boy or girl is on the way? Using the mom’s input, find a theme you’ll both have fun with.
- Select and mail invitations. Choose or make invitations based on the theme.
- Choose what foods to serve. Finger foods are usually a hit–from cheese and crackers, various dips and fruits and veggies to an array of desserts. Avoid serving alcoholic beverages out of respect for the guest of honor.
- Create or purchase a cake for the baby shower. Bakeries have many fun themes to accommodate the theme of the shower you’re hosting.
- Choose decorations. You may opt for the traditional balloons and streamers, or do something different with fresh flowers as centerpieces.
- Plan a few games for fun. There are varieties to choose from, from over-the-top goofy to plain and simple, like guessing the number of jelly beans in a baby bottle. The Internet is a great resource for finding creative entertainment for your group.
- Purchase a special book for the mom-to-be to place memories, details about gifts given and photos from the special day.
Buy packages of thank-you cards in advance and have guests self-address their envelopes. You’ll save the new mom time when she goes to write her cards.