With a wireless connection, your PC can connect wirelessly to a network printer. In addition, you can set up your PC in a location where no phone line or cable connection exists. Outfitting your desktop to a wireless Internet connection is very easy. Just follow these simple steps and you’ll be surfing the net wirelessly in a matter of minutes.
- Contact your local Internet service provider to hook up a high-speed Internet connection (broadband), such as DSL or cable.
- Upgrade to high-speed if you already have Internet access, but only dial-up. Wireless Internet won’t be that effective with just a dial-up connection.
- Make an appointment for a service technician to come in and install and set up your Internet connection.
- Buy a self-install Internet kit to set it up yourself. Follow the step-by-step instructions for installation and setup (alternative to step 3).
- Set up your wireless Internet for your desktop PC according to the instructions that came with the wireless adapter. The usual procedure is to plug the wireless adapter into an available USB port. Windows will install the appropriate driver. After your PC recognizes the wireless adapter, select the “Connections” icon in the taskbar (represented by vertical bars). A list of available connections will appear. Select the desired connection. If you are prompted for a password, enter the appropriate password. Click “Connect.” You are subsequently connected to a wireless network. Launch your browser and enjoy surfing the Internet wirelessly.
- If you are the owner of the wireless network, secure your wireless network with a password. To do so, navigate to the “Start” menu and select the “Control Panel.” Then select “Network and Internet” and “Network and Sharing Center.” Click “Change adapter settings” in the left pane. Double-click the icon of the appropriate wireless connection. The Wireless Network Connection status window appears. Click the “Wireless Properties” button. Select the “Security” tab and select an encryption type from the drop-down selection. Enter a password in the Network security key field. Make sure that the password matches the router settings. Press “OK” when done.
- Get a wireless internet router for your Internet connection if there is no wireless Internet already in your area. You can buy these online, or at electronic stores. You’ll need to set up your router using the accompanying instructions and your own Internet service provider. This is best in a home with multiple computers.